The 2012 Scottish Car of the Year awards

Discuss the Front Page Articles Here
Site Admin
Drives: Amica

The 2012 Scottish Car of the Year awards

Post by LiDL » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:22 am

The 2012 Scottish Car of the Year awards proved to be very good for the all-new Hyundai i30 range.

The Scots awarded the Best family Car to the i30 5-door hatchback, with the i30 Tourer/wagon scoring top spot in the Best Estate Car category.

The Hyundai i30 5-door was an instant hit with the Association of Scottish Motoring Writers (ASMW).

The medium family car segment is one that is incredibly competitive, but the judges gave the edge to the i30 over the Citroen DS5, the Kia Cee’d, and the bigger i40 after seeing all the cars put through their paces during testing

John Murdoch, President of the ASMW spoke about why the family car segment is now such a major category. He explained that the vehicles have become so versatile, fun to drive, and fuel efficient that they have become the only car a family needs.

He went on to explain that the Hyundai i30 Hatchback won the top spot because of all that it delivered. He said that the judges loved how it drove, the comfort it delivered, and more importantly how cost efficient the vehicle is to run.

The Best Estate Car award went to the new Hyundai i30 Tourer (Premium), which had to hold of stern competition from the likes of the Peugeot 508RXH, the VW Passat Alltrack and the Audi A6 Allroad.
Murdoch spoke about how the estate car is enjoying something of a resurgence among buyers, most of whom don’t need the extra seating of an MPV, but still want good load carrying capacity.

He also noted that the judges felt that the overall package of the i30 Tourer (review) gave it the nod over the others. They loved the drive, design, and the fact that it came in under £17,000.
The Hyundai i30 Blue Drive derivative with highly-efficient 1,6L CRDI diesel engines also earned a mention in both the Best Eco and Best Diesel Car categories.

Hyundai Motor UK’s President and CEO, Tony Whitehorn spoke of how honored the company was to have received the awards from the Association of Scottish Motoring Writers. He felt that the awards were an example of how the Hyundai brand is starting to take a hold in Scotland and the rest of the UK.