Uk petrol and diesel car ban in 2040!

Chat about anything motoring here, from rants about your drive to work, to questions about the best tyres to buy, motor insurance or even car modifications.
Bighvm
Casual Member
Drives: i30 / i30 Estate

Uk petrol and diesel car ban in 2040!

Post by Bighvm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:51 am

Yes I've just seen this in the news and understand France is doing the same..
This is not good..

Gazwould
Casual Member
Drives: i40

Re: Uk petrol and diesel car ban in 2040!

Post by Gazwould » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Won't happen , fake news...

Bighvm
Casual Member
Drives: i30 / i30 Estate

Post by Bighvm » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:06 pm

I fear it is real news as it's all over the news and net... lord knows how they will pull this off, it will cost so much money to take the majority of cars off the road and have them replaced- inknow ot won't happen overnight, I bet my rear that they tax the hell out of us as an excuse from now on so they can afford incentives nearer the time!!
This country always screws the driver first!! Sigh

LiDL
Site Admin
Drives: Amica

Post by LiDL » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:29 pm

it's not for existing cars, but new ones, so you can buy a fossil fuel car in 2039 and drive it for as long as you like but you won't be able to buy a brand new one from them (although the second hand market will still exist)

journeyman
Casual Member
Drives: ix35

Post by journeyman » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:50 pm

Loads (as usual the government has not thought about i bet.) to be considered here. They specifically say cars. Before I make my wee statement I will say one thing first. All this climate change etc, the damage I fear has been going on far to long to be repaired now, and also for me personally when countries like China, Japan, India, and America start and think more about climate change then I will also start and consider it. All the above mentioned countries are far bigger than us and create far more polution etc, we are a little island nation.

Regards goverments statement they seem to be having a go at cars here, what about buses, the times they pass me when Im out walking and the ammount of smoke and crap that comes from their eshausts is unbelieveable, I bet a bus creates more pollution in a day than I do in a year in my car. Also what about lorries? on a whole they are ok i think but non the less still have the 150 year combustuable engine so they too must create pollution!!

If as they say we are to go all electric can they create an electric engine that could run an articulated lorry when it has these 40ft containers on it I wonder? Now in the the winter months when we have bad winters we are often having power cuts/down times, what I am saying is they can not gaurentee power for the home let alone total electric cars. If it ever happened the National Grid has said peak time demand would jump more than the capacity of the planned Hinkley Points C nuclear power station.

We are also far more dependant on supplies from other countries, with pipelines coming in from other countries IE EDF, so this would mean we would run the risk of having no power in our homes in bad weather, also means we have to be careful what governments we do and dont fall out with!!! Experts have warned that if this did go ahead we would need an extra six nuclear power plants, now how much will that cost and who will pay? National grid also states that to cope with demand for power at peak times we would need an extra 18 gigawatt of power, that is equivelent to the output of six Hinkleys!!

Oh yes Finally for got to mention Aircraft, Cival and military are they too going to be electric. wont bother me because I wont do anything to the countries I mentioned above do, any way by then I will be 95 (if alive)

Gazwould
Casual Member
Drives: i40

Post by Gazwould » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:08 pm

It's the shipping derv , absolutely evil stuff , try and keep yourself near the bow .