New Car Problems!

Chat about whatever, but no pulling hair.
first-hyundai
Casual Member
Drives: i10

New Car Problems!

Post by first-hyundai » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:55 am

4 days ago, after 5 years of saving my hard earned cash and many sleepless nights with the excitement of collecting my new car I finally collected my brand new i10. Always had Japanese cars for the past 33 years but decided I would try the new i10 as it had such good reviews.

Saved for 5 years and paid top price of over £11,300. I collected the car and within 300 meters noticed there were problems with it! The car sounded quite 'gruff' compared to the demo car, and there was a complete lack of 'new car smell'. I got to traffic lights and had to stop on a hill but the handbrake didn't lock the wheels. It pulled up 8 clicks! (Later called a garage and was told that that in itself would be an instant MOT failure!).

Also the Hill Start Assist didn't work at all so the car rolled back almost hitting the car behind. Went straight home and called my local Hyundai dealer. Took the car in and was told by the mechanic it had around 15 faults with it and needs extensive repairs and completely dismantling! The dashboard rattles, the dials are worn and loose, the heater only blows cold, scuff marks on the seat backs, a knocking sound from the rear of the car, boot light broken, stains on the seats, hand brake defective, Hill Start Assist not working, the list went on and on......!!!!!

I later found out that my 'brand new car' was actually an ex-display car and it had been sitting in a showroom with everyone pulling and pushing dials etc, which is why it had the complete absence of any 'new car smell' and why there is so much 'wear and tear' on it. I immediately complained but have been told Hyundai doesn't need to inform their customers if the car is untouched or an ex demo car!

The car is now off the road and is waiting to be taken in for extensive repairs. To make it roadworthy it needs a complete new dashboard, dials, seats, hand braking system, Hill Start Assist, Valeting etc etc etc... I am absolutely and utterly disgusted with the car and Hyundai's policy! All I can do is wait for the car to be repaired and immediately sell the vehicle.

I will not allow my family to be in the car and my wife simply refuses to drive it. I also have no excitement with the vehicle and have no faith in the brand. It looks, smells and drives like a 10 year old car in desperate need of a service and complete overall. But as I paid top Dollar for this car I will take a huge knock with the depreciation, but what's my choice!?

PSmith518
Casual Member
Drives: ix35

Re: New Car Problems!

Post by PSmith518 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:36 pm

You should refuse the car under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. Here a couple of useful links:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/ ... -goods-act

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/c ... _goods.htm

tommy66
Casual Member

Post by tommy66 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:06 am

If it was supposedly a brand new car - what was the mileage? Should have been delivery miles only! Do not accept the car if you signed and paid for a brand new one, especially at over £11300....

vdumitrescu
Casual Member

Post by vdumitrescu » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:16 am

For an ex-demo car, shouldn't the reg plate give it away that it's not brand new?
Or did they register it after months of displaying it in the showroom?